|Frequently Asked Questions|
What's This Permit All About?
The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit allows the holder to carry upon their person a concealed firearm for personal protection purposes. The state of Utah issues these permits to anyone in any state, that meets the requirements. There is NO need to have a specific reason, Utah is a shall-issue state meaning as long as the minimum requirements are met, they will issue one. Moreover, Utah does NOT require you to qualify with a firearm. Additionally, you can carry any legally owned firearm! There are no restrictions unlike many other states!
Why Get This Permit in MARYLAND?
This permit is NOT currently recognized in Maryland, however for those that travel, it is recognized in many other states. including most of the adjoining states to Maryland.
Is The Permit Good In My State?
Currently, the Utah Concealed Firearm Permit is recognized in the following states:
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
This list can change without notice, and it is the permit holder's responsibility to know what states have passed or revoked reciprocity or agreements with Utah. An up to date list is provided by the state of Utah's Bureau of Criminal Identification website here: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FAQother.html
What Paperwork do I Need to Send in?
You'll need to send in the following:
- Photocopy of your driver's license or state Identification Card.
- One completed Blue&White Applicant Fingerprint Card. (card and fingerprints will be provided in class)
- One Passport Quality Passport Photo measuring approximately 2"x2" (Provided in class)
- The Application signed, and Stamped by your Certified Instructor (will be provided at the completion of the class)
- Current CCW Permit if you live in a state with reciprocity with Utah. Does NOT apply to Maryland residents.
Link to the application in fillable .pdf format:
What are the Costs?
$100 for the class, this includes:
- Firearm familiarity class (lecture)
- Utah/Federal Law Review (lecture)
- Fingerprinting service (CJIS Fingerprint Certified)
- Passport photos
- Class notes on CD
- Stamped application at the completion of the class.
- Course completion certificate
- Postage to Utah
In addition to the above course fee, Utah charges $49.00. The Bureau will accept cash, check, money order or credit cards. Credit card payment must include the 3 digit control number from the back of the card. Make check or money order payable to the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification. There will be a $20.00 service charge for returned checks.
What are the Minimum Requirements?
- Applicant must be at least 21 years of age
- Proof of good character...whereas the applicant:
- has not been convicted of a felony;
- has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
- has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
- has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
- has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
- has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
- has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed
NOTE: A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.
How Long does the class take to complete?
Approximately 4-5 hours in a classroom setting. No firearm qualification needed, please bring NO firearms/ammunition to class.
Where are the Classes?
Classes are held all over Maryland and the Central Atlantic. We will travel to set up a class at your location. Please see the Training Calendar for times and locations.
Will you do Private Classes?
YES we will! Even more, you provide the location, and 10 or more of your friends and/or relatives and you'll get your training free!
We will travel anywhere in Maryland or within a reasonable distance at a convenient time and date.
Simply provide the classroom for the training and we will work with you to fill it. If we can get 10 confirmed, you get the class for free!
What are the Benefits of the Utah Permit?
- Recognized in MANY states!
- Easy to get.
- No Firearm Qualification Needed.
- No Firearm list restriction (carry any handgun)
- 60 day Process.
- Very low initial fee of $49.00 good for 5 years.
- Lowest renewal fee of all permits. Only $15.00 for 5 years.
Do I need to be a Citizen of the United
States to Get a Permit?
No. However, for those born outside the U.S. you must provide Bureau of Criminal Identification proof of Citizenship or Alien Registration.
How Long does It Take To Get the Permit?
Current processing times are 60 days from the date payment is processed by Utah's Bureau of Criminal Investigation department.
How to Get Started?
1) Go to the Training Calendar page and look for a convenient class location and time.
2) Go to the Contact Us/Register page, fill out the appropriate fields.
3) Pay the registration fee to reserve your seat in the class.
4) Fill and print out your completed application and bring to class
5) Show up at the designated time and location with a copy of your driver's license.
6) Enjoy the Class!
Utah Permit Facts:
No need to be a Utah resident
Valid in many states
No weapon restriction
No livefire qualification
Permit good 5 years
$15.00 renewal fee